skip to content

Changing Your Course Registration

If you wish to apply for a change in course registration within the same faculty or department (e.g. from MPhil to PhD) you can apply to do so by submitting a change of course application.  If you wish to change to a course in a different department, you will need to apply for a change of department.

How to apply

You can apply to change your course registration via your CamSIS self-service. Information on how to do this is available on the ‘Applying for a change in your student status’ page. You will need to specify the term from which you would like the term to take effect and explain the reasons for requesting the change. If the change of course will involve a change of supervisor, you should include the name of the new supervisor. 

Once submitted, your application will be considered by your supervisor, department, College and Degree Committee before arriving at the Student Registry for the final decision. It will not normally be possible to start the new course until the application has been formally approved by all parties.

Please note that not all course changes are permissible. For example, it is not possible to transfer from the Doctor of Medicine (MD) to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Please check the Statutes & Ordinances for guidance before applying. If you are not sure whether the change of course you wish to apply for is permissible, please contact Student Registry at before initiating your application.

Financial Undertaking Form

When applying to change your course registration, you will need to complete a Financial Undertaking Form to show that you have sufficient funding for any additional costs that may arise from the change. You must attach the completed form to the online application form. Please note that if you change course, you will still be liable for fees for each term that you were studying on the previous course. For example, if you change from PhD to the full-time MPhil after 5 terms, you will not be liable for any further fees as the fee liability for the full-time MPhil is 3 terms, but you will still be liable for fees for all of the 5 PhD terms completed before the change of course. 

If you are funded by a funding body or other party, you will also need to attach evidence of their commitment to fund your proposed change in course.

Students studying on a Tier 4/Student visa

If you are studying on a Tier 4/Student visa, a change in course registration may result in visa implications. You should contact the International Student Office to discuss your plans prior to making an application to change your course registration:

Students who require ATAS (Academic Approval Technology Scheme) clearance

If you are a non-EEA national studying in the UK on any time-limited visa and your new course requires ATAS clearance, you will need to have obtained a new ATAS clearance certificate prior to the change in course registration being approved and before starting your new course.

Contact the International Student Office who can help you start this process and answer any questions regarding ATAS clearance:


If you have any questions about applying for a change of course registration, please write to the Student Registry at