skip to content

Changing Your Mode of Study

From full-time to part-time or from part-time to full-time

1. Preparing an application - points to consider

You should include the following information in your application:

  1. The reason for the application - this provides useful context for those considering your application
  2. The impact of the change of mode in terms of supervision, ongoing support, access to facilities and resources, financial implications and project timeline
  3. The term from which you would like the change to take effect. A change of mode should be from the start of a term and, if temporary, should be for full terms. Please note, you will not be able to chage your mode of study once you have completed your required number of terms of study (for example, the required number of terms of study for the full-time PhD is nine).  

You will not be able to change your mode of study more than once in each direction unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Part-time study for PhD, MSc and MLitt is carried out at 60% of full-time study. In practice, the University does not dictate how many hours of study a part-time student should undertake per week. However, the submission deadline and the number of terms of fee liability will always be calculated using the 60% conversion rate.

2. Assessing the impact of the change

Supervision and support: If you are applying to change from full‐time to part‐time study, you should ensure that your supervisor is willing and able to supervise you for a longer period, and that any facilities you use (e.g. laboratory space, desk space) can be made available to you over a longer period.

Finances: You will need to show that you have sufficient funds for the remainder of your project, taking into account changes to fees and any funding you may receive. When your application is received by Student Registry you will be sent a new Financial Undertaking Form to sign. If you are a self‐funded student you should bear in mind that your fee payments will change. If you are funded by a funding body or other party, you must contact them in advance of submitting the application and you will need to include evidence of their commitment to fund you for the remainder of your course - you can upload this evidence to your online application. You should bear in mind that maintenance stipends are usually paid on a pro‐rata basis to part‐time students.

Employment: If you wish to change to part‐time study because you are entering employment, you must ask your employer to provide written confirmation that that you will be granted time off as necessary to enable you to complete your course in the given timescale. This confirmation should be attached to your online application.

College membership: It is important to note that some Colleges do not offer membership to part-time students. If your College does not currently take part time research students and is not interested in doing so then you will have to be accepted by a different College before you can proceed with a change of mode of study. It is your responsibility to arrange to change your College membership, and you should discuss this directly with your College. You should also bear in mind that Colleges are under no obligation to provide accommodation for part‐time students.

Visa holders: If you are currently studying at Cambridge on a Tier 4 visa please read through the relevant information about changing mode of study on the International Students webpages prior to submitting an application. If you are currently studying at Cambridge on a non-Tier 4 visa, contact the International Student Office to check whether this change will have any implications from an immigration perspective prior to submitting the application You can contact the International Student Office at

3. Submitting an application

You can apply to change your mode of study via your CamSIS self-service. Information on how to do this is available on the ‘Applying for a change in your student status’ page. 

Your application will be considered by your supervisor, department, College and Degree Committee before arriving at the Student Registry for the final decision. As part of the consideration process, your department may need to interview you to discuss the change. 

Each party considering your application must be satisfied that the change will not impact negatively on your progress towards the degree, that you and your supervisor will be able to manage the change in workload, and that your funding is secure for the whole course.

4. Contact

If you have any questions about changing your mode of study, please write to the Student Registry at