skip to content

Withdrawal from Study

In certain circumstances, a student may be withdrawn from study. This most commonly happens when a student has not met the deadline for submission of their thesis.  It can also occur if a student is not progressing in their studies or has not paid their fees.  Regulation 12 of the General Regulations Chapter VII of the Statutes and Ordinances details the instances in which a student can be withdrawn from study.

If you need to take a break from study that is not covered by the rules for intermission, or you wish to leave the University permanently, you can apply for withdrawal.  If applying for temporary withdrawal, you will need to apply for reinstatement when you are ready to resume your studies, and should bear in mind that it is not always possible to accommodate a student wishing to be reinstated, especially if a significant period of time has passed since the withdrawal request. 

The effects of withdrawal from study

If you are withdrawn from study, you will no longer be recorded as a student of the University of Cambridge. This will mean that you will no longer be entitled to supervision or to use any University or College resources, including your University email address.


If you are not self-funded, you should refer to the terms and conditions attached to your funding to understand the funding implications of withdrawal from study. Your funding body may require you to repay any funds that were paid to you in advance. Please contact your funding administrator for advice.

Reinstatement for thesis submission (research courses)

If you are withdrawn from study because you have not met the deadline for submission of your thesis, you can apply for reinstatement to be examined once you have completed your thesis. You can find more information about this on the reinstatement page.

International Students

If you are studying with a Tier 4/Student visa, the University is required to cease sponsorship for this visa with effect from the date of your withdrawal from study. The International Student Office will confirm the implications of this by e-mail.  Please contact the International Student Office directly should you have any question about this:


If you have any questions about withdrawal from study, please submit a query here: