skip to content

Changing Your Department

You may apply to change your department and/or faculty in certain circumstances. Before you apply, you should discuss the proposed change with your supervisor, both departments and your College Tutor.

How to apply
Applying for a change of department involves first completing a paper form which must be signed by the following parties:

Head of new department
Degree Committee for new department
Your sponsor or funding body (if applicable)
Proposed new supervisor

You then need to apply for a change of Department/Faculty via your CamSIS self-service. Information on how to do this is available on the ‘Applying for a change in your student status’ page.

You will need to specify the term from which you want the change to take effect and explain the reasons for the change. If you have explained these fully on the paper form you can simply write ‘please see attached form’ on the online form. If the change will involve a change of supervisor, you should include the name of the new supervisor in your statement. You must upload the paper form with the new Department’s approval. Your application will not be processed without this.

If your proposed transfer will bring about an increase in fees, you will need to provide the Student Registry with confirmation that you have the required funding for this amount. See Fee Schedules for information about fees.  Unless you are applying for a 'fresh start' you will be liable for fees at the rate for the year you were admitted to your original course. If you are not self-funded you will need to provide Student Registry with evidence that your sponsor or funder approves the change in department and will provide funds to cover the fees and any additional costs incurred.

Once submitted, your application will be considered by your current supervisor, department, College and Degree Committee before arriving at the Student Registry for the final decision.

If you require further information, please contact the Student Registry at

Students studying on a Tier 4 visa

If you are studying on a Tier 4 visa, a change of department may result in visa implications. You should contact the International Student Office to discuss your plans prior to making an application to change your department:

Students who require ATAS (Academic Approval Technology Scheme) clearance

If you are a non-EEA national studying in the UK on any time-limited visa and your course in your new department requires ATAS clearance, you may need to apply for a new ATAS certificate. Since you may need to have obtained the ATAS clearance certificate prior to the change in department application being approved and before starting in your new department, you should apply for clearance alongside making the application to change your course registration.

Contact the International Student Office who can help you start this process and answer any questions regarding ATAS clearance: