skip to content

Medical Intermission (postgraduates)

If you find yourself unable to study for more than two weeks due to a medical condition, you should apply for a period of medical intermission; this is a complete break from study for health reasons. You should discuss this with your supervisor, and possibly also your College Tutor, before submitting your application.

Applying for and returning from medical intermission

Information on how to apply (via self-service account) is available on the ‘Applying for a change in your student status’ page but please see below for information specifically relating to medical intermission.

You should discuss with your supervisor, and possibly also your College Tutor, before submitting your application.

  • Select the start and end dates for your period of intermission. Intermission can only be backdated by a maximum of 30 days from the day you make your application. For example, if you submit your application on 31st October, the earliest start date for your period of intermission will be 1st October.
  • Provide relevant information regarding your medical condition and its impact on your academic progress.
  • Once you have submitted your application form online, you should submit your medical evidence (please see below) to your College who will forward this to Student Registry, who will refer it to Medical Advisors, who will confirm whether the period of intermission you have requested is warranted by the medical evidence.

If your application for medical intermission is approved, you will need to apply for permission to return to study at the end of your break from study. Information about this process can be found on the ‘returning from medical intermission’ page of the Cambridge Students website. If you wish to return early and this is approved, the remainder of your period of intermission will be rescinded and your submission deadline brought forward accordingly.

Length and timing of intermission

You should apply for a period of intermission if your break from study lasts more than two weeks.

Medical intermission due to being too unwell to study or temporary withdrawal are not normally possible in the first term - students normally have to withdraw and reapply (it may be possible to resubmit your original application). Intermission during the first term of study will only be approved in exceptional circumstances, with the strong support of the student's Degree Committee, and can’t normally be used as a way of deferring admission. 

If you are in your final term of study it may be more appropriate for you to either take a short extension of up to 30 days for medical reasons, or temporarily withdraw from study. You will not normally be able to intermit once you have completed the maximum number of terms for your degree (for example 12 for the full-time PhD).

There are limits on the number of consecutive terms and number of terms overall of intermission that are permissible.

Programme of study Maximum consecutive terms of intermission Maximum terms over course
Full-time PhD, EdD, MSc and MLitt 3 6
Part-time PhD, EdD, MSc and MLitt 5 10
Full-time Masters  3 3
Part-time Masters 5 5

Keeping term and fee liability

Full-time students must spend at least three terms resident in Cambridge.  For a term to be 'kept' a student has to reside in Cambridge for a minimum number of nights (59 for the Michaelmas and Lent Terms and 52 for the Easter Term).  These nights have to be between certain dates - further information can be found on the Terms of Study page. 

Normally if you are studying for 21 days or more of a term you will be liable for the University Composition Fee for that term. Intermission will not impact on the overall number of terms of fee liabilityHowever, students returning from a period of intermission of six or more consecutive terms (which is very rare - see above for the usual limit on consecutive terms) will normally be liable to pay the rate that prevails upon their return which will almost certainly be higher.

Medical Evidence

You must provide sufficiently detailed current evidence from a medically qualified practitioner, for example a doctor’s report. Where appropriate, evidence from an accredited counsellor or disability advisor may also be considered. The University provides guidance for medical practitioners, which may help when requesting medical evidence. The evidence:

  • should ideally provide a clear diagnosis which includes the nature and severity of the illness; if there isn't a confirmed diagnosis, the letter should confirm that the student's condition is under investigation;
  • should state when, how and to what extent the condition is likely to affect the candidate’s ability to study;
  • should be precise and self-explanatory. The amount of evidence required will vary from case to case. For example, hospital admission will need a shorter explanation than a less obvious or less serious condition where background information and details of the candidate’s medical history may be required;
  • Where a student is also making a request to return to study following the period of intermission, the medical evidence should also clearly indicate when the student is likely to be able to resume study.
  • must be in English. If the documents are not originally in English, they must be translated by a professional translating service. In some cases, it is acceptable for documents to be translated by a member of your College;
  • should be on headed paper which includes full address and role title of the practitioner, dated and signed by the practitioner (or other appropriate professional).

The University is not able to cover the cost of medical documents submitted in support of an application for intermission.

During medical intermission

Medical Intermission is a complete break from study. If you are studying for a research degree, your submission date will be extended to take account of the time you have not been studying.

Whilst intermitting, students are not permitted to study or undertake any form of employment. You can remain in Cambridge during a period of intermission and may choose to maintain contact with your Supervisor, but you are not expected to be actively engaged in your studies or to be accessing laboratories or other facilities. 

You should not use College facilities during intermission, nor engage in social activities within College, without the express permission of the College.

Intermission and Funding

If you are funded by the SLC, a Research Council or other funding body, you should always discuss your plans for intermission with the relevant administrator before submitting an application as there may be imp;icatons for your award (for example, temporary suspension).  

Hardship Funds 

If you are not in receipt of funding for a period of intermission and are experiencing financial hardship because of this, you may be eligible to apply for hardship funding. You can:

US/Canadian Federal loans

If you are planning on applying or have been granted intermission whilst in receipt of a current federal loan or hold one that is in deferment or require further information please contact:

Information for students studying on a Tier 4/Student sponsored visa
A Tier 4/Student visa is granted for the purpose of full-time study in the UK. If a student is not engaged in full-time study for a period of time, the terms of Tier 4/Student visa sponsorship no longer apply and the Home Office expects the student to leave the UK.

If a period of intermission is granted, the University is required to cease Tier 4/Student visa sponsorship and report the change of circumstances to the Home Office. The Home Office act on this change by curtailing the Tier 4/Student visa to sixty days and the student is advised to leave the UK.

In certain circumstances the University is able to continue sponsorship for a Tier 4/Student visa for a period of intermission up to a maximum of sixty days. This would only be considered in cases where the student can still complete their course within their existing visa expiry and would not include intermission for the purpose of either internship or course which does not contribute to studies at Cambridge. If sponsorship is continued but the sponsored student does not return to studies after this intermission, the University is required to cease sponsorship in line with the above.

In exceptional circumstances, such as serious illness or injury, Tier 4/Student visa sponsorship can be continued for an intermission providing the student can still complete their course within their existing visa expiry. The maximum period of continued sponsorship would be four months. Applications where there may be grounds for continued Tier 4/Student visa sponsorship during an intermission period greater than 60 days should be referred to the International Student Office for approval unless it is for maternity or paternity leave which can be granted for a maximum of 4 months.

Any previous intermission will be taken into account when considering whether Tier 4/Student visa sponsorship can be continued.

In cases where Tier 4/Student visa sponsorship is ceased, the University will be able to issue a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for a new visa application once return to study is approved; please contact the International Student Office to request this CAS.

For further information please contact the International Student Office:

Sources of support

Upon your return from intermission, you should arrange to meet with your Supervisor and your College Tutor to discuss any additional support or adjustments needed following your intermission. 

If you have a health condition or disability or are experiencing difficulties which are impacting on your well-being there are a number of sources of support available. Information about some of these can be found here:

You might also find the Student Wellbeing and Equality & Diversity websites helpful. 


If you have any questions about medical intermission, please write to the Student Registry: