skip to content

Cambridge students


If you are in need of financial support due to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak please speak to your College Tutor about the options available. 

These web pages provide information for current students of the University about a range of funding, additional to statutory and other state support, that is available to students who find themselves in need of extra financial assistance or who are otherwise facing exceptional or unexpected financial hardship. The information here may also prove useful to the parents/guardians/advisers of students, as well as to college Tutors and other staff.  Prospective students, or current students seeking funding to begin a new course, should visit the funding pages for either undergraduate or graduate study.

Funding for exceptional or unexpected financial hardship

Special Hardship Fund (Funding for all students, including intermitting students and those affected by Coronavirus)

This fund has been established for student hardship from pay docked during the previous industrial action. The fund is for undergraduate and postgraduate students who are intermitting and have no other available financial support, and for current students who are experiencing exceptional financial hardship. The fund is limited, and intended for genuine cases of hardship not ordinarily covered by other hardship funds, or where other hardship funds have been exhausted. Applications must be made through the Senior Tutor of your College. Please contact your College for more information.

This fund can also be accessed by those who are in financial need due to the Coronavirus outbreak where direct and immediate costs have been incurred, in excess of a student's expected expenditure.  A special application form has been set up and your College can submit this on your behalf.  Please be aware that applications sent directly by students cannot be accepted.  All applications need to be supported by the Senior Tutor or their representative and must be submitted by the Senior Tutor or their representative via email.  In parallel, you should also explore Departmental and Funding agency hardship support in addition to completing your College's Hardship Fund application (available on your College website). 

The Sheikh Family Bursaries (Funding for undergraduate Muslim home students)

The COSARAF Charitable Foundation has established The Sheikh Family Bursaries in order to award hardship funds to undergraduate Muslim home students in financial need.  The Bursaries will open to undergraduate home students who are in financial difficulties in all Cambridge Colleges and particularly to those suffering unexpected hardship. They provide grants of up to £2,000 per annum.  There is one application deadline in the middle of each term: you should, well in advance, give full details of your financial situation to your Tutor who can apply on your behalf.

COSARAF Application form 2019

COSARAF Eligibility 2019

Funding for students with disabilities

Students with a disability may be eligible for the Government's Disabled Students' Allowances, to help with costs incurred as a direct result of their disability.

The Disability Resource Centre provides details of a range of financial support for students with disabilities including: Disabled Students' Bursary Fund; International Disabled Students' Fund; Charlie Bayne Travel Trust; Student Disability Assistance Fund; Snowdon Award Scheme.

Funding for students with dependent children

The Childcare Office publishes information about Government and University financial provision for students with children, and produces the Cambridge Guide for Student Parents.

The Office provides information about the Central Childcare Bursary Scheme, which offers limited, means-tested financial assistance towards the costs of registered or approved childcare to EU and Overseas students at participating colleges.

Student Funding Search

The University offers many funding opportunities internally for current students, both undergraduate and graduate. Details of the various awards, scholarships, hardship funds and other student support funds can be found in the Student Funding Search, the online directory of awards and funds administered by the University (including departments, faculties, colleges, central offices and other internal sponsors).

Loan Fund I

Loan Fund I is available to provide interest-free loans to under or post graduate students who find themselves in unexpected financial hardship.

It is expected that students will have explored all other avenues before making an application for an advance from Loan Fund I.  This means the student should have already applied for remission of fees and assistance from his or her College and/or department.  Prior to making an application for an advance from Loan Fund I, the student should have made applications to all appropriate sources of funds including Student Loan Company and the University and College hardship funds.

An application for an advance should be made, via the College using the Loan Fund I application form.

If an advance is granted, at the time the loan is made the student will be expected to agree a reasonable schedule of repayments following the completion of his/her course of study and to sign a Banker’s Order form so that repayments can commence on the agreed date.