skip to content

If you are about to graduate, we would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and we hope that your graduation at Cambridge proves to be a truly memorable occasion.

Ceremonies are livestreamed and the recording is held for two months. After two months the recording is permanently deleted. The livestream is provided to allow friends and family members who are unable to attend the Senate-House to view this important event. It is provided on the understanding that it is a private recording, not to be publicly shared on social media or in any public forum.

Undergraduates usually proceed to the Bachelor of Arts (BA), their first degree in most cases, as soon as they are qualified to do so. However, if a student is intending to be a candidate for the Master of Engineering (MEng), Master of Mathematics (MMath) or Master of Science (MSci) degrees they must defer taking the BA until the end of their fourth year.

Any degree for Postgraduates can be conferred at the ordinary Congregation ceremonies but please check with your College before applying so that you are not disappointed as they may not be presenting at particular ceremonies. Please note that Postgraduates are unable to proceed through the General Admission ceremonies at the end of June. 

The main ceremonies for Undergraduates are held at the end of June and this is commonly referred to as General Admission. However, Undergraduates can choose to have their degree conferred at any of the Congregation ceremonies held throughout the year but please always check with your College before applying. 


As a Bachelor of Arts a student may be admitted as a Master of Arts not less than six years from the end of your first term of residence as long as the Bachelor of Arts has been conferred. The Degree of Master of Arts denotes a person's standing in the University, and gives admission to membership of the Senate; it does not depend upon further study, or residence, or payment of a fee. Further details are obtainable from Tutors or College Praelectors.

For further information on Congregation ceremonies at Senate House please click here


Frequently Asked Questions

What will I receive on the day of the ceremony?

On the day of the ceremony you will receive a hard copy of your degree certificate(s). Please note that this is an original document and should be kept safe throughout the day as replacements will only be available at a cost. 

When will I receive my transcript and can I have more than one?

Your transcript will be produced  as soon as possible following the ceremony (provided that there are no unforeseen delays) and sent directly to your College who are responsible for the onward distribution of these. This copy of your transcript is free of charge. 

If required you can purchase additional copies of your transcript (although this service is currently unavailable). The University of Cambridge is committed to reducing its environmental impact and as a result of this you may want to consider using the Digitary service instead rather than ordering a paper copy. Please see the following page for further information on these services:

Does the University offer any other certificate styles?

The certificate that you receive at the ceremony is the standard University A4 printed certificate. We also offer an A3 calligraphed version which can be purchased here:

Can I have my certificate framed?

There is not a specific framing service but Tempest Photography (the photographers on the day of the ceremony) provide a selection of certificate frames in the lawn marquee that you can purchase on the day. You simply need to view the range of frames and advise which style you would like to purchase. Once purchased you can take your frame away with you and insert the certificate yourself. 

If you specifically require a framing service then this will need to be further researched by yourself as this is not a service provided or offered. 

Can I order more certificates?

Yes. Please see the following page for full information on ordering additional certificates:

I left my certificate at Senate-House. What can I do?

If you have left your certificate this may be picked up by a member of staff. Please send an email to your College Tutorial Office and this can be investigated. 

If your certificate is not located then your College will need to send a request to the Student Registry for a new certificate to be produced and sent. We cannot gurantee that this will be free of charge and you may be required to purchase the replacement copy. 

My certificate was damaged on the day of my graduation. What can I do?

If your certificate was marked or creased before being given to you at the ceremony this will have already been noted by the member of staff from the Student Registry handing them out and a replacement will be provided free of charge and sent to your College the week following your ceremony for onward distribution. 

If your certificate got damaged, e.g. creased or bent, following the ceremony then you will need to purchase a replacement copy. Please see the following page for further information about ordering certificates:

Accessibility for graduands

Graduands with accessibility concerns are welcome to use mobility aids in the Senate House. The Senate House does not regulate the style or colour of these aids. There is also step-free access to the Senate House. If other accessibility concerns arise, speak to one of the Senate House Constables on the day, and they will be able to assist you. 

If you will be leaving Senate-House by the step-free exit, please advise your college tutorial office so they may inform the congregations team. This will allow Student Administration staff to hand you your certificate at the correct exit.