skip to content

Each Research Council has government funding to support research and training in a different area of research ranging across the arts and humanities, social sciences, engineering and physical sciences and the medical and life sciences. There are currently seven Research Councils.

Further information on the individual Research Councils can be found on the Research Councils UK (RCUK) website.

Eligibility for Studentships

Home students and those EU students who satisfy home residency criteria (see Eligibility of EU Citizens for Full Awards) are eligible for a full Research Council studentship, comprising the University Composition and College Fees plus an annual maintenance stipend (which will be £13,726 in 2013/14). Other EU students are eligible for a fees-only award.

Overseas students may also be eligible for Research Council funding through grant-linked studentships, which are awarded to supervisors, especially in the science and engineering departments. Please consult your prospective supervisor directly for information about this.


Applying for Studentships

All applications for Research Council studentships must be submitted through your department; students cannot apply directly to a Research Council. You should consult your department or faculty for information on the application procedures and different schemes. Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) awards are administered via the Student Registry - more information can be found on the pages below.


Information for Current Award Holders

If you have been awarded a Research Council studentship, your department will be responsible for the payment of the University Composition Fee, the college fee, and your maintenance stipend. The only exceptions to this are AHRC and ESRC studentships: please see our pages on Support for Award Holders for further information on your awards.


Information for Departmental staff