skip to content

You will need to apply to change your mode of study on an application form which can be downloaded from your Self-Service pages (under Apply for things/ Application forms). You will need to explain in your application why you wish to change mode and from what date. Your application will have to be approved by your supervisor, department/faculty, college and the Board of Graduate Studies. You will also need to be interviewed by your department. The interviewing panel will include at least one person who will not be your supervisor.

Each party has to be satisfied that the change makes good sense in the context of your progress towards the degree, that you and your supervisor will be able to manage the change in workload, and, that your funding is secure for the whole course.  For those on a Tier 4 visa and who require continued Tier 4 sponsorship, visa restrictions would also be taken into consideration.  

You will need to demonstrate that you can financially support yourself or can be supported by another party for the duration of your programme. To do this, you will need to complete a Financial Undertaking Form, which must be uploaded and attached to the application you will make via your CamSIS self-service.  If you are funded by a funding body or other party, you should attach a evidence of their commitment to fund you for the remainder of your course.

Important Information

  • You will not be able to change your mode of study once you have completed your required terms of study
  • You will not be able to change your mode of study more than once in each direction unless there are exceptional circumstances
  • Please note that some departments and colleges do not offer membership to part-time students
  • If you wish to change to part-time study because you are entering employment, you should ask your employer to write to the department stating that you will be granted time off as necessary to fulfil the attendance requirements laid down by the department for the remainder of your period of study
  • It is not possible to transfer to part-time study for financial reasons. All approval parties must agree that part-time study is desirable for educational reasons
  • Please note that colleges are under no obligation to provide accommodation for part-time students
  • If your college does not currently take part time research students and is not interested in doing so then you will have to be accepted by a different college before you can proceed. It is your responsibility to arrange to change your college membership

If you are currently studying at Cambridge on a Tier 4 visa and would require continued sponsorship as a part-time student, read through the relevant information about changing mode of study on the International Students webpages prior to submitting an application.


If you are currently studying at Cambridge on a non-Tier 4 visa, contact the International Student Office to check whether this change will have any implications from an immigration perspective prior to submitting the application

International Student Office (

Please contact the Student Registry if you need further information about changing your mode of study.


How to Apply

Instructions on how to submit an application to change your mode of study can be found on the 'Applying for a change in your student status' page.