skip to content

Full-time students are required to keep terms of residence in Cambridge in order to be awarded their degrees. In order to keep residence, you need to live (or reside) within the University's precincts during term time.  


Please note this guidance does not apply to undergraduates or students on courses leading to the LL.M., M.A.St., M.C.L., M.Eng., M.Sci., M.Math., Vet.M.B., Mus.B., B.A., or B.Th. Degree, or the M.B., B.Chir. Degrees - for students on these courses, residing within the precincts usually means living within 3 miles of Great St. Mary's church, in your college or in other accommodation with your college's permission.  If you feel you need permission to reside outside the precincts, you should speak to your college in the first instance,


For postgraduate students, 'precincts' are normally considered as the 10 mile radius of Great St Mary's church if you are a full-time student. If, however, there are good reasons for this not being possible or convenient, you can apply to live outside this limit. Part-time students have no residence requirement and therefore do not need permission to reside outside Cambrige.

Application forms for residing outside the University's precincts are available from your CamSIS self-service.

Permission to reside outside the precincts will normally only be granted if the proposed place of residence is within a distance that allows students to travel to Cambridge and back in a day and all parties are satisfied that there will be no detrimental impact on study and attendance. You will still be expected to engage with your studies in person in Cambridge and to meet any attendance requirements for your course. The Department/Faculty should monitor to ensure residing outside the precincts is not having a detrimental impact on your engagement with your studies. If concerns are raised and these cannot be satisfactorily addressed, approval may be withdrawn. 

Postgraduates should also take careful note of the Terms of Residence.

For further information please contact Student Registry (