skip to content

The MPhil and MRes degree may be examined by thesis only or by a combination of dissertation, exams, coursework, projects, reports, seminars and essays. Students on taught courses should consult their Department's guidance on submission and presentation requirements. Information for students on research Masters courses can be found below.

When do I need to submit by (taught courses)?

You will have a date and time by which your thesis must be submitted - please contact your Department or Degree Committee if you do not know what your deadline is. 

What is required (research courses)?

Your thesis must be a connected account of work, and must comply with the General and Special Regulations for the particular MPhil/MRes programme.

Word limits and more specific information about the requirements for the MPhil/MRes is available in the General and Special Regulations for each degree, listed under the specific MPhil/MRes programme:

Statutes and Ordinances: Chapter VII: Degrees, Diplomas, and other Qualifications

How do I present my thesis (research courses)?

You must submit two typed copies of the thesis in durable binding with your name clearly marked on the front cover.

You are advised to carefully check your thesis for typing errors, spelling mistakes and poor grammar or written expression. The thesis, apart from quotations and recognised technical formulae, must be written in English.

Secured inside the thesis there must be:

  • a title page containing:
    • the thesis title
    • your name as it appears on your passport 
    • your College
    • the Date (optional)
    • and a Declaration stating: This thesis is submitted for the degree of Master of Philosophy.
  • a declaration page in the Preface stating: This thesis is the result of my own work and includes nothing which is the outcome of work done in collaboration except where specifically indicated in the text.
  • Where appropriate, a Statement of Length stating that the thesis does not exceed the word limit for the respective Degree Committee.

Unconnected or unrelated work which has previously been published can be submitted along with the thesis - and may be considered by the examiners at their discretion.

Research Impact Statement:

In recognition that covid-19 may have impacted on their research, students are invited to submit a Research Impact Statement with their thesis. The purpose of the statement is for students to describe any restrictions or difficulties experienced in undertaking their research as a result of COVID-19 and to provide details of any alternative arrangements made to complete the work for their thesis. Further details can be found in the guidance for students and the form can be downloaded here.

When will I find out my results (taught and research courses)?

Results are usually posted after your Degree Committee has met and this can vary widely; as such you should contact your Degree Committee for further information. Please note that you will not be able to receive your degree certificate until you have had your degree conferred (awarded) at a degree ceremony/congregation, either in person or in absence.