skip to content

We know that the Covid-19 pandemic is causing unexpected financial hardship for many students. If you are in this position, you should apply to your funding sponsor (if you have one) for additional support. You should also speak to your College Tutor, as many Colleges have hardship funds that can help to support students. 

Additionally, the University provides several central sources of financial support:

Fund Who this is for
Undergraduate Hardship Fund (Bell, Abbott and Barnes Funds) Undergraduates facing exceptional or unexpected financial hardship (for undergraduates, clinical medics and Part III students only)
Postgraduate Hardship Fund Postgraduates facing exceptional or unexpected financial hardship. Postgraduate research students may also apply for the PGR CAS scheme for self-funding PGR students requiring extended funding due to the Covid-19 pandemic
Medical Support Fund (Crane's Charity) Any student facing exceptional or unexpected medical costs leading to financial hardship
Special Hardship Fund

For the following purposes:

  • Students impacted by the war on Ukraine
  • Intermitting students
  • Students on a year abroad
  • Students requiring support for Covid-19-related UK Hotel Quarantine Costs in 2021
DRC financial support Students with a disability
Childcare Bursary Scheme Students with dependent children
Sheikh Family Bursaries Undergraduate Muslim home (usually UK) students in financial need
Student Hardship Loan Fund Any student who finds themselves in unexpected financial hardship requiring a temporary loan

Use this flow diagram to help identify which funds may be most appropriate for you to apply for. 

Other Sources of Support at Cambridge 

As the University Hardship Funds have limited funding available and receive a high volume of applications, you should also speak to your College Tutor and explore all other available support such as: 

  • Your College’s Hardship Funds