- University/School Codes
- What Happens Next
- Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- Applying for a Direct PLUS Loan
To receive student financial aid the first step is to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); this will determine your eligibility for a loan. You can apply online from the FAFSA website. In order to sign your FAFSA online you'll need an FSA ID and information and a link to creating an FSA ID is on the FAFSA website.
One of the steps in completing the FAFSA is supplying the appropriate School Code for the college you will be attending at the University of Cambridge. Please use the code for the college at which you have been accepted and the designated code for the University of Cambridge.
|University of Cambridge||G04030|
|Corpus Christi College||G21674|
|Gonville and Caius College||G12302|
|Murray Edward's College||G22722|
|Sidney Sussex College||G21334|
|St Catharine's College||G34924|
|St Edmund's College||G20944|
|St John's College||G12839|
Once your FAFSA has been completed and processed you'll be sent a Student Aid Report (SAR) which you can view, print out and keep. This document lists the information you and your family have provided and tells you what your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is for the year you are applying. The EFC is used to determine eligibility for needs based financial aid and relates to the subsidized portion of the Stafford loan. Please check your name, social security number, date of birth and all other information to make sure that it is accurate. It is important that you check the comments section on your SAR, as there may be issues that you need to address and any unresolved issues may delay the processing of your loan. We will receive your FAFSA once completed.
Students taking a federal Direct Loan are required to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). If taking both Stafford and PLUS Loans a separate MPN is required to be signed for each loan and MPN’s must be completed on your college’s school code. The MPN is a legal document through which you promise to repay your Direct Loan. The MPN details the conditions of your Direct Loan and the terms under which you agree to pay it back. You will need to complete a new MPN for each academic year that you take out a Direct Loan. You can complete a Direct Loan MPN online at the StudentLoans.gov website. You will need your FSA ID.
If you are taking a Direct PLUS Loan in addition to the Direct Stafford Loan you will need to complete a Direct PLUS Loan application (on the StudentLoans.gov website) and this must be done on your college’s school code. Please take a screen shot print of the credit check and include it with your application as we will require proof that the PLUS Loan has been approved.
After you sign-in on the StudentLoans.gov website, when you get to the drop-down menu please select the college you'll be attending. The format will be University of Cambridge - College Name. You cannot complete your MPN(s) until you have been accepted at a college. We will require a copy of your Direct Stafford MPN, and Direct PLUS MPN and credit check if the Direct PLUS Loan is also being taken, and also keep a copy of the MPNs for your reference.
In order to apply for your loans please send just one e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org this must include all the required attachments.
The subject line of your e-mail must be of the following format: First name SURNAME (USN) (College Name) (Course of study)
The required attachments to be included in your e-mail are detailed below:
- Entrance counselling, this needs to include both Stafford and PLUS if taking both types of loan (also see information below)
- Direct Stafford Master Promissory Note (on correct college school code)
- Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note (if taking) (on correct college school code)
- Direct PLUS credit approval (if taking)
- Relevant completed Cost of Attendance spreadsheet (please amend to print to one page if this doesn’t automatically happen)
- Copy of confirmation of offer/conditional offer letter (if received) not required for current students (PhD on or before MT15 & undergraduates on or before MT15) who have previously taken a federal loan.
- Confirmation that for the period of your course that you will not be undertaking any study in the United States. PhD students – please inform Jane Armitage (Jane.Armitage@admin.cam.ac.uk) if you are planning on studying in the US for any period of your PhD.
Undergraduates please refer to the Cost of Attendance page with regards to what is required.
Please complete entrance counselling - this is required even if already completed at another university. Not required by current students if they have already completed the relevant entrance counselling for our office.