skip to content

Cambridge students



The University of Cambridge does not have its own medical practice, and all students are advised to register with a local GP (general practitioner) when they arrive. Your College should be able to provide a list of local practices, or you could use the NHS search facility.


The University Dental Service was sold in December 2016 and is no longer affiliated with the University. The new owners and managers are, however, committed to providing continuity of treatment to NHS patients already registered under the care of the Practice. Existing patients can make an appointment by calling in to the practice or telephoning 01223 367870.

Students wishing to register as an NHS dental patient locally can find out which practices in the city are accepting NHS patients using the NHS search facility.

Health guidelines

Every year the University issues Health Guidelines to staff and students. These include information on meningitis, vaccinations, anaphylaxes, and sexual health. In the event of an epidemic or pandemic it may also release information on the advice of the Health Protection Agency.

Pregnancy, maternity and parental leave

If you or your partner become pregnant, guidance has been developed to help you manage this as straightforwardly as possible from the student’s perspective. It covers the University’s approach regarding student pregnancy, maternity, paternity and adoption leave.

Occupational health

For some courses, students may be required to undergo health screening from the University's Occupational Health Service. You will be advised by your College if this is a requirement of your course.

Health and safety

The University's Health and Safety Office also has a broad range of guidance documents that you may need to refer to during your time at Cambridge, for example, cycle safety and security.  There is also further information on the Health and Safety pages of this website.