skip to content

The following guidance is for current students at the University with Ukrainian citizenship (who do not also hold UK/EU citizenship) and students who were permanently resident in Ukraine before the start of their studies (i.e. domiciled in Ukraine). We hope that the information below may help to alleviate concerns about funding at this very difficult time. 

Government funding for financial hardship 

The Government will make additional funding available to Universities to distribute to students who are in need of financial hardship assistance. The University will distribute this funding via the University Special Hardship Scheme, which has already begun to provide support to Ukrainian students. 

Letter from Government 27 April 2022

University Special Hardship Fund 

If you are experiencing financial hardship and cannot meet your living costs as a result of events in Ukraine, please contact your College in the first instance for advice. Your College may be able to offer you support and/or they may support an application to the University Special Hardship Scheme. Applications can be made through an online application form and will need to be supported by your College Senior Tutor. 

Application form

The fund is unfortunately unable to support family members of students affected by the war (apart from declared dependants) or to replace scholarship funds that have been donated to the war effort. The fund is also unable to help with the payment of fees, which can instead be discussed with your College. 

If you have any queries about this fund, please get in touch with the Student Funding and Fee Policy Team at

Home Office Visa schemes

You will note that the letter from the Government (link above) refers to three schemes for Ukrainians introduced by the Home Office. Information about these schemes is outlined on the Government website at UK visa support for Ukrainian nationals. We believe that the schemes apply to Ukrainian citizens only. One of these schemes, the Ukrainian Extension Scheme, is for Ukrainian nationals who already hold permission to stay in the UK. It launches on 3 May when further details should be available.

If you decide to apply for this scheme, please keep the International Student Office informed by emailing

Fee status and funding from Student Finance England 

If you are granted leave under the Home Office Schemes above, you may be eligible for Home rate fees and finanical support from Student Finance England (and the Cambridge Bursary Scheme for UG students). We are not certain if these changes would apply for the current academic year or next (2022/23). Your College will support you to make funding/fees applications where appropriate - please contact your Tutorial office if you require advice.