We are pleased to announce the following new collaborations in 2015 for the MPhil competition:
- Newton CHSS MPhil Scholarship Scheme providing up to 50 additional awards
- AHRC MPhil Scholarships providing up to 10 awards
- The competition supports UK graduate students, and is generously supported by Colleges and the Isaac Newton Trust, in addition to the 'Named Awards' below.
- Similar schemes for EU and Overseas students are run by the Cambridge Trust
UK applicants for MPhil/PhD (including EdD) will be automatically considered for CHSS if they have applied for admission by 10 January 2015. However applicants can indicate their interest to their Department/Faculty by selecting the tick box on the GradSAF Section B.
In February, the Student Registry will submit a list of all eligible candidates to the relevant departments/faculties. The first round of assessment happens at department level and departments nominate students to the competition, administered at the Student Registry.
It is important that you send in your supporting documentation as soon as possible after you have applied for admission online, because your application will not be processed by the department until this is received.
Eligibility for the Schemes
Note: Students who have obtained or expect to obtain a 'Masters-level' qualification, are not eligible for a CHSS Masters award. Students who have obtained a doctoral qualification are not eligible for CHSS support.
- 'Home' fee status i.e. UK citizen (or equivalent) and resident
- PhD (or equivalent): full cost awards
- MPhil course that is 'research track' with the intention to continue to PhD: MPhil fees + bursary
- Students apply for admission by the deadline above (GRADSAF)
- Departments assess applications in February
- Departments nominate students to the Student Registry by late February (with a 'Statement of support' for each student)
- March - competition held at Student Registry across all subjects
- April - successful students notified by Student Registry
We regret that we are not able to give feedback at any stage of the competition